Monday, March 8, 2010

You can't judge a Hero by his cover

As I thought what to write about a week that was basically just taking care of Scottie on top of my usual duties I was struggling to come up with anything interesting when I caught a glimpse of fire out the front window. It was in the back of the garbage truck that had just picked up our trash. I saw the driver jump out, throw something on the small flames and run away. I asked him what was up and he said that someone, with a hard nod toward my neighbors, had put something hazardous in their trash and now we had to wait for the fire fighters to come. Since his truck was blocking my van and the Firemen told us we couldn't leave our homes, we decided to make a movie of the whole thing. Betsy and Tess loved watching all the action unfold, though not NEARLY as much as a two or four year old Gunner would have. It's a cruel irony that this couldn't have happened in his early childhood since he totally preferred movies like There Goes a Fire Truck to Barney or Blues Clues. But the girls enjoyed it some too. When the whole ordeal was over, the gas masks were off, and the bad items collected and tagged for what I'm sure will be a HEFTY fine for our neighbors the Fireman came to tell us all was well. Tess felt shy but Betsy wanted a picture with him so here it is. Oddly a few of my friends I've told asked if the firefighters were good looking. Strange for a few reasons, not the least of which is the fact that we are all happily married but also who can know these things? You only really see a four inch square portion of their faces and under the uniform you could never tell if they had tiny bird legs. And there's always the chance that they could be saving your life at that moment which, greatly influences judgement. Regardless he was very kind to pose with the girls and the day just got better from there.
Tess went to preschool and Betsy got to go across the street to the neighbor, Sandra's for a play date during Scottie's Dr. appointment. Sandra is our in neighborhood Grandma and Betsy was so excited to go alone! She even packed a bag with underwear, the movie Cinderella, her cup and some fruit loops. When I picked her up later she told Sandra, "I love you, you're my friend and next time I'll spend the night."
Scottie finally got her hard cast and we are all so relieved. The Dr. was surprised by some of the large bruises on her shoulder and upper arm so we sat through extra x-rays but nothing seemed to be wrong he just chalked them up to contusions caused by the intensity of the surgery. What would we do without general anesthetic! He said it was a miracle she had no nerve damage and I heartily agreed. She loves her green cast and we are all breathing a sigh of relief that the whole thing is better protected. The sight of the pins sticking out of her elbow and the horror of the x-rays still managed to turn my stomach.
In other news Gunner is always either at or on the way to some kind of practice, little league, track or Basketball and Joe is still studying hard. We can't wait to bring in the "little people" for St. Patrick's next week.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Did you ever find out what the neighbors threw away? I am so surprised my FIL has never had the fire department show up because of something toxic he threw away...they've shown up because of burning tires, but that's it :)

I'm thinking a 2011 Firefighter Calender would be a great Christmas present for all of your pervy friends.

That last picture is disgusting, yet strangely I had to enlarge it and just stare. Yikes!! Kids are so brave.

Jessica said...

Loved the bird legs comment. Now every firefighter I see I will imagine is concealing twiglike appendages. What does FIL stand for in amanda's post? You take top honors for always having handy and using your camera in interesting situations.

Rebecca said...

FIL...I'm going with Father In Law and knowing her father in law...yep I can imagine the burning tires!

Yep, did they know what hazardous item was thrown in the trash? Hopefully it's not batteries or those new light bulbs, because I know you're not supposed to throw them out but I do :\

And yes, Scottie's arm looks gross! I'm so glad it's protected by a fancy green cast now.