Thursday, February 18, 2010

WHY?

I received slight criticisms from Joe about the last post. He felt I glossed over some of the more important events and has tried to commit me to weekly blogging again. I'll try it, we'll see how long it lasts. At any rate I can't possibly do justice to the fun of visiting with so much family but I've added a few snippets to the last blog to try.

In the mean time, our week has been uneventful. We have been staying up way too late watching the Olympics and I'm sure it's impeding my ability to heal up. Gunner and Joe had a heartbreaking loss in basketball. Gunner had the ball with three seconds to go, trailing by three and couldn't quite sink the shot. We were so impressed with how well he played. Some of the best kids on the team were gone or hurt and Gunner really stepped up. He was all over his rebounds, shots and passes managing to sink a jumper just as he lost his balance. The girls mostly annoy everyone in the stands by climbing up and down but I love to watch.

Our weather has been really terrific as well and we've been spending a lot of time playing on the lawn, basketball, soccer and walks around the neighbor hood. I had the chance to go to a meeting for Scottie's school with the Superintendent. It was very informative. Millennium (Scottie's school) is genuinely too crowded for the amount of space in the building and it was interesting to see how some parents handle their frustration with it. I really don't like having my kids at two different schools and am largely unimpressed with the school district but it was good to get to know some of the major players better. No one is nearly as villainous as the summer strike would have had us all believe, And I love Scottie's teacher and community feel of her school.
In the spirit if intense questioning that only a school board meeting can exemplify I thought I'd pose a few good ones:

-Why do my kids call to their lost stuffed animals loudly, over and over like they are alive and will stand up and walk or call back to them, saying, "Here, Tess! Over here! It's Louie! I'm here by the base of the toilet where you left me!"














-Why, oh! WHY! did I make the rule, "If you pick something up in the store, I buy it with your money?! Neither of my girls have $129 in their piggy banks for Pediatric frames.














-Why do kids get unnaturally attached to certain items of clothing? This green shirt for instance. Gunner believes that when he wears it he is faster because it's nylon scratchiness causes static electricity.














-Why when I say, "You choose." for date night does Joe not understand that means a sit-down dinner at Paolos?






-Why can't Scottie whisper? Voice Modulation problem?!?!?!?






-Why did I tell Gunner about "Tractor Pulls" and the way their sound resembles that of a loud stinker? That'll haunt me forever.





-Why can't Betsy grow hair? And how does it become a fuzzy, matted mess even when she hasn't slept on it?
So There's some food for thought. Enjoy your week, as long as Apollo is still on the ice, I know we will!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I have a question for you...
Why did I think moving 3000 miles away was a good idea?
Our kids are cut from the same cloth. Does Gunner ever dance around with underwear on his head? It's Jake's new thing.

Tia said...

I love reading your blog! Always very funny. Hope you're feeling better soon, and yes I agree watching Apollo Ohno might just do the trick...

Laura said...

Paolo's is my mother-in-law's favorite. Now Joe will know what you want when you say "you choose." Weekly blogging is a noble goal. I should try that. Anything is better than my quarterly blog posting.

npk_techguy said...

Nathanael has learned the hand in the armpit stinker sound. Glory Days??