Cub scout camp for Gunner and Vacation Bible School for Tess and Scottie have come and gone and they were wonderful. The girls couldn't resist the "rockin" approach to church music at VBS compared to the very reverent singing at our church on Sundays. The melodies of all the songs are still kicking around all of our heads and every once and a while someone will shout a "Fear Not!" for no reason. VBS is at a local Methodist church that my friend works for and they are so kind and the program is so good that we do it every year.
Eventually I'm sure we'll have to address some of the fundamental differences in the two church's doctrines but for a 4 and 6 year old VBS means singing, crafts and a delicious snack with friends every day for a week!
Eventually I'm sure we'll have to address some of the fundamental differences in the two church's doctrines but for a 4 and 6 year old VBS means singing, crafts and a delicious snack with friends every day for a week!
Cub camp is a lot the same only with A LOT more dirt and chance for serious injury. 
This was my first time to work at camp and I loved it. I don't get much time with just Gunner (and 100's of other dirty 8-10 year old boys) so we had a great time. We got to make a catapult out of nails, 2x2s and rubber bands. Now had a mom conducted this activity she'd have included a bag of mini marshmallows but since dad's were running it the boys made due with rocks and used each other for targets.
When I inquired, at what I considered to be the ultimate source for all things "scout," about the possibility of getting the tote-n-chip card I had coveted of my brothers my entire life, I was told it was basically an out dated, rarely done part of scouts. Out dated!? Don't we still make the boys pretend their leaders are a wolf called Akeyla!? Even without the tote-n-chip I think Gunner loved cub camp and looks forward to next year, again, snacks, crafts and friends, the kid triple threat. (Its called the Totemanship)

This was my first time to work at camp and I loved it. I don't get much time with just Gunner (and 100's of other dirty 8-10 year old boys) so we had a great time. We got to make a catapult out of nails, 2x2s and rubber bands. Now had a mom conducted this activity she'd have included a bag of mini marshmallows but since dad's were running it the boys made due with rocks and used each other for targets.
When I inquired, at what I considered to be the ultimate source for all things "scout," about the possibility of getting the tote-n-chip card I had coveted of my brothers my entire life, I was told it was basically an out dated, rarely done part of scouts. Out dated!? Don't we still make the boys pretend their leaders are a wolf called Akeyla!? Even without the tote-n-chip I think Gunner loved cub camp and looks forward to next year, again, snacks, crafts and friends, the kid triple threat. (Its called the Totemanship)In other news we are slowly running out of floor to replace and hope that a good carpet cleaning will keep us from having to do more. With the help of Rebecca and Bethany (thank you so
much!) I managed to rip up the floor in the kitchen so Joe could almost permanently disfigure himself putting in more laminate. As we have been working a lot on our house lately we have "names" for some of our oft used tools, for instance, the greatest tool ever, the grout master and the tool of death. Joe invented the last one to save money by not renting the correct and safe tool from Home Depot. He used it to cut the backer board from around our kitchen cabinets. Imagine having a whirling blade centimetres from your face while you work in the tiny five inch overhang between your cabinet and the floor. 
much!) I managed to rip up the floor in the kitchen so Joe could almost permanently disfigure himself putting in more laminate. As we have been working a lot on our house lately we have "names" for some of our oft used tools, for instance, the greatest tool ever, the grout master and the tool of death. Joe invented the last one to save money by not renting the correct and safe tool from Home Depot. He used it to cut the backer board from around our kitchen cabinets. Imagine having a whirling blade centimetres from your face while you work in the tiny five inch overhang between your cabinet and the floor. 
As always with Joe he finished the project in record time, everything looks perfect and he still has a face. 
What could be better than 70 degrees, sunny, and a pile of food on your belly?
While I finished painting the kitchen and putting everything back where it belonged, Joe and the girls took a much deserved trip to Lake Wilderness.
This is shot with a 300mm lens. (I like to give them the alone feeling so they make safe decisions)
3 comments:
I'm glad you pointed out the pile of food on the belly. That was an LOL!
VBS is like my kid's preschool. My children still know those songs better than our primary songs...I'm thinking we need to get some pointers. Cam walks around the house occasionally singing "Our God is a great, great, God!"
Good work on the floor and house work...where are the after picks?
Manth, your blog brings the funk every time I read it! My tote-n-chip card just got that much cooler now. I'm choosing to think of it as a collectors item, instead of an ancient ruin.
Post a Comment