I got to coach Gunner's first season of basketball. It was fun and I learned a lot about coaching and really enjoyed all my kids. We learned a new skill every week and tried to incorporate that into the games. The parents were way into winning but I never really looked at the score until the last game. I played every kid the same amount and so eventually there would be a rotation that was weak and I could hear the grumbling of parents wanting me to sub in better players. I always worked the rotation so the last rotation was strong which meant second to last may be weak. I had one kid that if I had no conscience I could let score 3o points a game and we would blow everybody out but I wouldn't let him shoot unless he passed it 2 times in the trip down. He would pass it twice before he reached half court and then drive in and score.
Gunner played very well and did some good things that he didn't even know he was doing. He is a competitor and would dive for the ball and even got flipped on his head going for a rebound and getting his legs taken out. But the part that drove me crazy about his competitiveness is competing with his team for the in bounds pass. As you can see in the pictures he is stealing the in bounds pass from our own team.

2 comments:
Good job being coach. I love that Mike takes the time to coach our kids!
Good job coach. I don't think George will ever coach ours. He is toooooo competitive to deal with children. Other things, yes, but not sports. I am glad you do it.
Post a Comment