Monday, February 23, 2009

"Had wooden teeth, chased Moby Dick . . . That's Captain Ahab dude."

Bill and Ted didn't know their historical figures and thanks to the Public School System neither do my children. Instead of studying the presidents on President's day our Schools take the week off. So we headed South to Eugene to party with cousins and grandparents. The weather was terrific and the kids played outside every day which is a miracle in February in the Northwest. Despite all the fresh air we still got the stomach flu and woke up the morning we were supposed to drive home with fresh barf in two of the girls hair.


That's not a salad, it's the family barf bucket
So we stayed an extra day and everyone at my parents house graciously put up with us while we convalesced. We had had fun, birthday parties, feeding the horse, and A LOT of talking with the grownups while the kids shredded Grandma's basement or tormented each other in various ways. Family close by truly is a blessing.

Thankfully the other half of the family was spared the flu until after we had hosted our Six Young Men for stake youth conference but the minute they were out the door Bam!, no Emeril it's not a tasty side dish, its vomit. Joe, Betsy and Tess missed Church Sunday and it's Monday and I have a lot of sheets and towels to wash.

The young men were terrific though and we are always glad for the opportunity to work with the Youth. Every time we think, "That was our best group ever" but they just get better and better. These guys were all 16 or older and very considerate and funny. They had to be staying in our tiny house and chillaxin' with our tiny kids. They did however eat us out of house and home and an entire week's grocery budget was spent in a few days. Countless pizzas, gallons of milk, juice, soda, bags of chips, three dozen eggs and two pounds of bacon later we are now having to refill the fridge. It was well worth it to see the great people coming up. They brought a great spirit to the house and we will miss them.


We rounded out the Week off with a quick trip to the zoo and by seeing High School Musical 3. Yes, the kids, Me and even Joe, in spite of himself, loved it. Troy and Gabriella TLA!

4 comments:

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

Barf is the worst. Drop in Child care is who we can thank for our barf experience. But, HOW were you spared?? or were you? I hope for your sake you were-- someone has to be alive to do the laundry right? ahh! Youth Conference kids rock and i'm sure they love your house!! That would've been a fun place to stay in my day. Here's a cheer for having sickness over BEFORE Dland! Can't wait! 5 days!

Rebecca said...

Fun weeks minus the throw up! Youth conference was great and I guess I'm glad I had girls for another reason! They ate a lot but not nearly as much as your boys. I'll do it again anytime.

Lisa said...

Boo for barf, Yay for feeding bottomless pits. I need a lesson. I have a few up and coming BP and I cannot keep food on hand these days.

Wenger Family said...

Wow, that's a lot of food! Lucky you have 3 girls I guess. Not looking forward to that.