

This past Monday we thought we would try and teach the kids a little about why we celebrate. We took them up to the national cemetery to look at the graves of the local military men and women who had died. The goal was to teach them respect for the great sacrifice of these men and women, the actuality was a lot of tombstone hopping and begging to pleeeeeease take that beautiful, free, bouquet of flowers home.
To try and drive the point of memorial day home we decided to look for Ellsworths, Smiths and other family names and were not disappointed. We all thought the last picture was a little spooky and yes, Tess is genuinely upset, not because her grandma's name was on a tombstone but because Gunner touched the tombstone first.
To try and drive the point of memorial day home we decided to look for Ellsworths, Smiths and other family names and were not disappointed. We all thought the last picture was a little spooky and yes, Tess is genuinely upset, not because her grandma's name was on a tombstone but because Gunner touched the tombstone first.
In the end I think the people who actual experienced some patriotic zeal were Joe and I. (Certainly not the horrified visitors who had the misfortune of arriving at the same time we did.) There were what seemed like miles of headstones representing our nations soldiers. It was a good reminder of how priceless our freedoms are.

3 comments:
Love the last picture...it's a classic.
Maybe I'm weird, but I think Tahoma is such a beautiful cemetery, especially when the flags are on display.
i forget all the time what memorial day is about... that's a great idea to actually do something to remember. haha. whew... i didn't sleep enought last night, i'm no t sure what i'm saying...
What good parents you are! This year Hannah asked me what Memorial Day was for and I'm embarassed to say I had to think awhile before I could come up with the right answer. I'll keep this idea in mind for next year.
Post a Comment